Friday, February 18, 2011

Long rides

I have been recently reading a lot of ride reports from the ADV forum and thinking that I need to get a longish ride in this summer. Last year I did a weekend ride from Portland to Victoria, which was fun, but stayed in hotels and didn't ride much, once we got to Victoria.

I don't think I'll ever get enough time off to do a cross country trip - although that would be awesome and I don't have a BMW GS or a standard touring bike- no intention of getting one either.

So what can I do with a Ducati monster? I want to get in at least 2-3 long weekend rides over the next season. Here is what I'm thinking -

1) Do the Victoria ride again, but extend it to 4 days or so.
a. Day 1- Ride up to Port Angeles
b. Day 2- Victoria to Vancouver B.C
c. Day 3- Vancouver BC to somewhere mid- Eastern Washington
d. Day 4- Mid-Eastern WA to Portland

2) Ride south on the coast line- east into Oregon and back up.
a. Day 1- Portland to around the Florence area
b. Day 2- Florence to Crater lake to Bend
c. Day 3 - Bend to Portland

3) Ride south on the coast like to however far I can get in a day- stay
the night and come back up.

I had friends that rode scooters from Portland, Oregon to Portland, Maine in about 10 days and then shipped their bikes back- but to do such a trip you need a bigger group- don't think I would want to take that one on with my limited mechanical skills + really need to save up for something like that. Maybe when I'm retired and ride a couch on wheels ;).

No comments:

Post a Comment