Monday, October 25, 2010

Gear- Back/ Knee protection

When it comes to gear, often overlooked are a back protector and some sort of protection for the knees/ shins, when one is not wearing riding pants. When it comes to jackets/ pants and overall protective gear- I love the stuff put out by Dainese. It is well made (most of the time), provides great protection and just fits well, at least for me/ my medium build.

For back protection, I have the Wave Air protector. It fits nicely underneath jackets, covers the full length of the spine and is built in pieces so it moves with you, so as not to restrict your movement. Luckily (knock on wood), I have not road tested it, but seems like it would do the job. One issue I'm having with it after owning it for a couple of years is that the velcro is starting to wear out. So either I need to lose* or gain weight so I can close it at a different spot.

For knees/ shins, when I'm not wearing riding pants, I usually wear the Dainese Knee - V Protector underneath jeans (and I know, people say it's overkill, but hey, I kinda like my knees, no matter how knobby). These are made of hard plastic with padding underneath and three straps, one above the knee and two around the calf. Compared to what other manufacturers (Icon/ AlpineStars) offer, these are pretty streamlined, cover top of the knee and the shin and fit very nicely under jeans- inside boots without sticking out or being overly bulky.

*Really not gonna happen

And here are the pics



No comments:

Post a Comment