Sunday, November 28, 2010

Oil drip?!?

I thought I was done with riding for the season, but yep, I got to ride the monster this weekend.

For the winter I basically end up putting the bikes on a battery tender, but even so, I still like to go out and start them up, hear the rumble - try running a 848 with Termi's (no baffels) and a 796 at the same time in a garage (with the door open), neighbors hate you, but they sound awesome and its fun ;). Anyway, was running the 796 and after about 5 min or so, saw a little puddle form at the bottom....hmm.., looked a little closer and it was oil - crap! Dug a bit more and looked like it was coming from the oil filter, not a whole bunch, but a steady drip. Turned it off and as the bike cooled down, the drip stopped.

Called up the dealer and he said to bring it in so yep, in the 15 mins where it stopped raining on Sat, rode it out to the dealer to have them check it out. I was concerned that the 796 may have inherited the "oil leak from the engine block" issue that the 696 had. So the guys at the shop call me up in the afternoon and tell me it was just a bad seal on the oil filter- whew! - so a minor thing, something I probably could have fixed myself, but did not want to mess with it if it was something else. Regardless, a WTF moment, courtesy of Ducati.

Now I need to find another 15 mins of dry weather to go get the bike back from the shop. :)

And here are the pics.

The "drip".


And the Monster 696 oil leak. I got this pic of a bike I was looking to get early this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment