Saturday, July 16, 2011

Loop around the coast.

I haven't updated this in a while - why? - well, the summer (sort of) decided to show up and have been riding quite a bit.  I'm planning a trip to Victoria BC in the next few weeks on the monster, but here is a ride report from a trip around the Oregon coast on the 848.

I started off the ride with a few folks from Portland that were heading to Astoria, OR. Rode to Astoria taking the some back roads, avoiding any major highways, so a trip that usually takes about a couple of hours stretched to about four and a half.    Plus, this group I ride with are fairly mellow rides with lots of stops, so by the time we got into Astoria, had lunch and were ready to get out, it was almost 4:00 pm.


My plan was to head down Hwy101 (which is very different on the Oregon coast vs. CA, more like PCH up here) for a few hours find a place to stay overnight and then ride back up to Portland on Sunday. Most of the folks with me headed back to town. Couple tagged along with me until  about Wheeler, a coast town that lasts all of 2 stop lights, and I'm being generous here.  We wanted to grab coffee, but realized that everything in that place closes by 5:00 pm on a Sat with the sun out - so no coffee for us. The other two headed back to portland and I continued down 101 finally stopping at a little motel (which was on the beach) around the Yachats area, which is mid-way down the state, as it was getting back.  Picked a nice clean motel, they let me park my bike in front of my room, but it got lonely and I ended up sharing the room with it- don't tell the owners ;).
Sunday was just as nice as Sat. I decided to head East instead of going back up the coast. Took the Alsea hwy (Hwy34) east.  This was an amazing road, with nice mixture of straights and twsties, so you got a chance to relax in between the technical parts.  This road also had a nice selection of little towns along the way, covered bridges, etc. that was nice to see- so overall a very cool combination for all senses.  That road along with a few addtional connecting back roads, got me home.
Fun couple of days, although I think I need a week to recover after doing this on the 848 wearing a backpack ;).

View from Astroria
On 101


Sunset at the coast







No comments:

Post a Comment