Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Review: Bell Star helmet

I got a new helmet. It was time for one given, my Scorpion is almost five years old. The Arai is about three years old, but with the side shield cover issue, you never know when it will go out of commission (it broke again, third time in three years); plus I only have a clear shield for it given how complicated it is to change the face shield and I don't want to risk breaking anything else on it.

After looking around at a few helmets, decided to try out the Bell Star. It had received some good reviews and I really liked the Cerwinskie design, so decided to go for it. It is now a welcome addition to the garage.  First impressions, it is very nicely made, the quality of the liner, paint, carbon fiber are all excellent. It also comes in a very nice fully lined helmet bag which is a plus. In the couple of short rides I have done, it fits me well, much lighter than my Scorpion (carbon fiber probably has something to do with that), my ear bud speakers fit nicely as there are some cut outs for ears built into the liner. Ventilation flows air well, so expect that this will keep me cool during the summer rides.  The bad, it is loud - not terribly, but I would say at the same level as the Arai, but again, wearing ear buds or plugs, it should not be too bothersome.

As to the face shield, it comes with a clear shield.  I got the transitions shield to go along with it, which changes depending on the ambient light.  I have not had a chance to ride in the sun with this shield but it did well with overcast but bright skies.  Lets see how dark it gets with the sun out.

Here are some pics.


No comments:

Post a Comment